Last updated: 2023-04-26
For a simplified overview of privacy check out our Privacy Statement.
We may provide additional information about our privacy practices in other places - for example, when we ask you to provide personal information in connection with a particular service or when you apply for a job with us.
What Information Omnivore collects and why
Information from website visitors
Like most website operators, Omnivore automatically collects i) technical information about your device including your device's internet protocol (IP) address; and (ii) information about your visit to our Websites (the referral URL, the content viewed and the content interacted with). Some of this information is collected using cookies and related technologies. See below for further information on these technologies. We collect this information to better understand how visitors use our Websites, to improve our Websites and experience for visitors, and to monitor the security of the Websites.
For logged-in users, Omnivore also collects this information on our application using our own software, to help us understand how to make the deployments more useful for different categories of user.
Information Omnivore does not collect
Omnivore does not intentionally collect sensitive or special category personal information, such as genetic data, biometric data for the purposes of uniquely identifying a natural person, health information, or religious information.
Omnivore does not knowingly collect information from or direct any of our Website or content specifically to children under the age of 18. If we learn or have reason to suspect that a user is under the age of 18, we will close that account.
Lawful basis and purposes for processing your personal information
To fulfil a contract or take steps linked to a contract with you
We use your personal information to:
- administer access to your accounts;
- manage our customer relationships;
- provide our products and services and send you service related communications; and provide you with customer support.
We may rely on your consent:
- Where you ask us to send marketing information (e.g. newsletter updates) via a medium where we need your consent under applicable law (for example email marketing in some countries);
- Where you give us consent to place cookies or similar technologies; On other occasions where we ask for your consent, for the purpose we explain at the time.
How Omnivore uses and protects your personal information
Sharing your information
Omnivore only shares your personal information with those of its employees, contractors, and affiliated organizations that (i) need to know that personal information in order to process it on Omnivore's behalf or to provide services available on the Website, and (ii) that have agreed not to disclose it to others
Service Providers and partners. Omnivore engages a number of service providers or partners to manage or support certain aspects of our business operations on our behalf. For instance, we currently use the following service providers who will handle your personal information:
- Google Cloud Platform - cloud data hosting
- Sentry - application monitoring and error tracking
- Intercom - customer support tool
- Posthog - data analytics tool
- Twilio - email and analytics provider
- GitHub - open source repositories and internal project management tool
Our service providers and partners are required by contract to safeguard any personal information they receive from us and are prohibited from using the personal information for any purpose other than to perform the services as instructed by Omnivore.
Legal Requirements. We may disclose personal information to government authorities or other third-parties if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) comply with a subpoena, court order or similar legal obligation, (b) protect and defend our rights or property, (c) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of any Website or the public, (d) protect against legal liability, (e) to investigate fraud or other unlawful activity, or (f) or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
Omnivore takes measures reasonably necessary to protect your personal information against any unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction.
International transfer of personal information
The Websites are hosted in the United States, and the personal information we collect will be stored and processed on our servers in the United States. Our employees, contractors and affiliated organizations that process information for us as described above may be located in the United States or in other countries outside of your home country which may have different data protection standards to those which apply in your home country.
Omnivore communications with you
If you are a registered user of the Omnivore service and have supplied your email address, Omnivore may occasionally send you an email to tell you aboutn new features, solicit your feedback, or just keep you up to date with what's going on with Omnivore and our products. We primarily use our blog to communicate this type of information, so we expect to keep this type of email to a minimum. There's an unsubscribe link located at the bottom of each of the marketing emails we send you so you can stop receiving such emails at any time.
Tracking Technologies and Cookies
Cookies can be "Persistent" or "Session" Cookies. Persistent Cookies remain on Your personal computer or mobile device when You go offline, while Session Cookies are deleted as soon as You close Your web browser. Learn more about cookies: What Are Cookies?. We use both Session and Persistent Cookies for the purposes set out below:
Necessary / Essential Cookies Type: Session Cookies Administered by: Us Purpose: These Cookies are essential to provide You with services available through the Website and to enable You to use some of its features. They help to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts. Without these Cookies, the services that You have asked for cannot be provided, and We only use these Cookies to provide You with those services.
Functionality Cookies Type: Persistent Cookies Administered by: Us Purpose: These Cookies allow us to remember choices You make when You use the Website, such as remembering your login details or language preference. The purpose of these Cookies is to provide You with a more personal experience and to avoid You having to re-enter your preferences every time You use the Website.
We do not use third party tracking services to collect information about you.
Do Not Track
"Do Not Track" is a privacy preference you can set in your browser if you do not want online services to collect and share certain kinds of information about your online activity from third party tracking services. Omnivore does not track your online browsing activity on other online services over time and we do not permit third-party services to track your activity on our site. Because we do not share this kind of data with third party services or permit this kind of third party data collection for any of our users, and we do not track our users on third-party websites ourselves, we do not need to respond differently to an individual browser's Do Not Track setting.
Global privacy practices and your rights
- provide clear methods of unambiguous, informed consent when we do collect your personal information and where required by applicable law;
- only collect the minimum amount of personal information necessary for the purpose it is collected for, unless you choose to provide us more;
- offer you simple methods of accessing, correcting, or deleting your information that we have collected, with the exception of information you voluntarily provide that is necessary to retain as is for the integrity of our project code as described further below; and provide Website users notice, choice, accountability, security, and access, and we limit the purpose for processing. We also provide our users a method of recourse and enforcement.
Additional rights that may apply to you in certain instances:
- Right of data portability (if our processing is based on consent or a contract and the processing carried out by automated means);
- Right to withdraw consent at any time (if processing is based on consent). If you ask to withdraw your consent, this will not affect any processing which has already taken place at that time.
- Right to object to processing (if processing is based on legitimate interests)
- Right to object to processing of personal data for direct marketing purposes
- Right of erasure of your personal data from our system (“right to be forgotten”) if certain grounds are met
- These rights may be limited, for example if fulfilling your request would reveal personal information about another person, or if you ask us to delete information which we are required by law or have compelling legitimate interests to keep.
Where we collect personal information to administer your accounts or your contract with us or to comply with our legal obligations, this is mandatory and we will not be able to manage our relationship with you without this. In all other cases, the provision of requested personal information is optional, but this may affect your ability to participate in certain Website-related activities or being able to access and use certain features and services, where the information is needed for those purposes.
Data retention and deletion
If you already have an account on the Websites, you may access, update, alter, or delete your basic user profile information by logging into your account and updating profile settings.